Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking: 15 minutes | Serves: 4
This recipe is tasty, healthy, filling and perfect for anyone on a low-carb diet. Thanks to Australian Beef for this great recipe!
- 4 x 180g bone-in blade steaks
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- ½ tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 cup raw peanuts, shelled, finely crushed
- 1 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red birdseye chilli, seeded, chopped
- 25g brown sugar
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 tsp kecap manis
- 250g rice vermicelli noodles
- 300g firm silken tofu, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 150g yellow or red grape tomatoes
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, cut into wedges
- ¾ cup bean sprouts
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- Sliced chilli & lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan-forced). Drizzle steaks with ½ tablespoon oil and season. Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue over medium-high heat and cook steaks for 2-3 minutes each side. Line baking tray with baking paper, add steaks and cook in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside on a plate, loosely cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes. Slice meat off the bone.
- Meanwhile, make peanut sauce – dissolve tamarind paste in 2 tablespoons boiling water and set aside. Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat and add 1 teaspoon peanut oil and curry paste. Fry for a few seconds then add 1 clove garlic, chilli, sugar, peanuts, coconut milk and tamarind liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Transfer to bowl and get rid of excess oil with kitchen paper.
- Prepare vermicelli noodles according to packet instructions. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside to cool. Cut noodles into 10cm lengths.
- Heat remaining peanut oil in a wok over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add tofu, stir fry gently for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove tofu from wok and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Add broccoli to wok and stir fry for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato, cucumber, noodles, tofu, broccoli, bean sprouts, mint and coriander leaves. Add ¼ cup peanut sauce and toss gently to coat salad.
- Serve sliced steak on top of salad with remaining peanut sauce, and lemon wedges. Top with sliced chilli, if desired.
Enjoy! Ready for another recipe? Check out how to make corned beef.