Preparation: 5 minutes | Cooking: 2 hours | Serves: 6
Corned beef is easy to make (it takes just 5 minutes to prepare!), tender and tasty – it’s the perfect mid-week family-pleaser. You can check out the original recipe plus much more here.
Corned Beef Ingredients
- 1¼ kg piece of uncooked corned (pickled) silverside
- 1 onion, peeled, studded with cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) malt vinegar
Corned Beef Method
- Rinse corned silverside in cold water to remove any surface brine. Place the silverside in a large heavy-based pot (large enough for the meat to be completely submerged in water).
- Cover the silverside with cold water.
- Place over a low heat and bring to a simmer. Skim any scum that rises to the surface. Once all scum is removed, add onion, cloves, bay leaves, sugar and vinegar.
- Partially cover the pot and keep the heat at simmering point – small bubbles will occasionally rise to the surface. Adjust the heat as needed throughout the cooking time.
- Cook until the silverside is tender – usually about 1 ½ – 2 hours. When ready, a fork should easily penetrate the centre of the meat.
Corned Beef Tips
- Don’t let the water boil, as this will overcook the beef.
- You can substitute the malt vinegar with apple cider vinegar.
- Slice meat against the grain (i.e. do not slice in the direction of the meat fibres) – you may need to change direction as you cut the meat.
Want some more delicious recipe ideas? Check out this festive roast beef and these tasty beef brisket burgers.