Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking: 2.5 hours | Serves: 4
We love this recipe because it is healthy, hearty and perfect for winter – we’re sure you’ll love it too.
- 4 x 300g beef shin, bone in
- ⅓ cup red curry paste
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 eschalots, thinly sliced
- 4 cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 375 ml beef stock
- 1 lemongrass stalk, halved, bruised
- 2 leaves kaffir lime
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar, finely grated
- 350 g butternut pumpkin, peeled cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 Japanese eggplant, cut into 3cm pieces
- 175 g green beans, trimmed, halved, blanched
- Juice of 1 lime
- Steamed broccolini, jasmine rice, Thai basil, sliced red chillies and lime wedges, to serve
- In a large snap-lock bag or shallow glass bowl place the beef and curry paste. Rub to coat and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or overnight, if time allows.
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat and cook the eschalots, garlic and ginger for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly softened. Add the beef and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until seared. Add the coconut milk, stock, lemongrass, kaffir lime, 1 tbsp fish sauce and palm sugar and bring to the boil. Reduce to a low simmer, cover surface with a circle of baking paper and cover with a lid or foil. Gently braise for 2 to 2 ½ hours or until meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- Add the pumpkin and eggplant to the curry with 20 minutes cooking time remaining, removing lid. Remove from heat and stir through the beans, remaining fish sauce and lime juice. Steam broccolini and prepare jasmine rice according to packet directions.
- Serve curry with broccolini and rice. Garnish with Thai basil, sliced chilli and lime wedges, if desired.
- Overnight, the flavour in the curry will intensify and texture will thicken. This is due to the marrow in the shin.
- You could substitute the beef shin for beef chuck or oxtail.
- Thai apple eggplants also work very well in this recipe.
- For a healthier option, use brown rice.