Preparation: 15 minutes | Cooking: 100 minutes | Serves: 4
Who doesn’t love the fresh, textured and delicious experience of burritos?! Especially those featuring steak!
- 600 chuck steak, fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 50 g dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 450 g packet long grain microwave rice
- 4 large whole grain tortillas
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 400 g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 truss tomatoes, diced
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, coriander sprigs, sour cream, lime wedges, to serve
- In a large casserole dish or saucepan heat the oil over medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Add the chipotle sauce, oregano and ¾ cup water. Season, stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 ½ hours or until beef is tender. Remove from heat and stir through the chocolate, if using.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to packet instructions.
- Warm tortillas according to packet instructions. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Top the tortillas with rice, beans, beef mixture, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, and coriander sprigs. Wrap up the burrito to enclose the filling and serve with sour cream and lime wedges.
- Gravy beef would also work well in this recipe
- The beef filling would also be great in tacos or quesadillas
- Chipotle in adobo sauce is available in the Mexican section of the supermarket or grocer.
Enjoy! Don’t forget to let us know how your burritos turn out on our Facebook page!