Preparation: 10 minutes | Cooking: 15 minutes | Serves: 4
This steak sandwich is healthy, fresh and delicious – perfect for a summer meal with friends.
- 4 lean sirloin steaks (600g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 8 slices of sourdough bread, toasted
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ⅓ cup beetroot dip
- salad vegetables including alfalfa sprouts, celery, cucumber and mixed salad greens with oil-free dr
- Brush each sirloin steak lightly with oil. Preheat the char-grill pan to hot before adding the meat.
- Cook on one side until the first sign of moisture appears. Turn steaks once only. Test the steaks for degree of doneness with tongs. Rare is soft, medium feels springy and well done is very firm.
- Remove steaks from heat, loosely cover with foil and rest steaks for 2 minutes before serving.
- While steaks rest cook onion in a non-stick pan until soft and golden. Using the toasted sourdough bread make sandwiches with the baby spinach, tomato, avocado, steaks, cooked onion and beetroot dip.
- Serve steak sandwich with salad vegetables including alfalfa sprouts, celery, cucumber and mixed salad greens with oil-free dressing.
- Always rest meat after cooking, as this allows the juices to redistribute.
- Best beef cuts for char-grilling: fillet/tenderloin, rib eye/scotch fillet, sirloin/porterhouse/New York, T-bone, rump, and oyster blade.