Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking: 5 hours | Serves: 8
This Italian stew may require a long cooking time, but it is easy to make and worth it for the delicious, comforting and rustic flavour.
- 2½ kg chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red capsicum, thickly sliced
- 1 green capsicum, thickly sliced
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 700 ml bottle tomato pasta sauce
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2½ cups beef stock
- 1 cup black olives
- Sprigs of oregano and rosemary
- Pasta and green vegetables (like broccolini) to serve
- Cut beef into 2.5cm/3cm cubes. Season with salt & pepper. Add ¼ cup oil to the beef, mix well. Heat a large frypan over medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 4 batches. Remove each batch and place it in the slow cooker.
- Reduce heat in pan and add a little oil, add the onion and garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add the capsicums and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until the vegetables are coated with the flour. Pour in the wine and cook stirring until mixture boils. Pour over the beef in the slow cooker. Add the combined pasta sauce and tomato paste. Add the stock, olives and herbs. Stir to mix.
- Cover the slow cooker with its lid, cook on Low Setting for 8-10 hours or the High Setting for 4-5 hours. Serve with pasta and broccolini.