Preparation: 30 minutes | Cooking: 65 minutes | Serves: 6
This is a healthier take on traditional cottage pie, with plenty of veggies including a cauliflower topping. If you are looking for a healthy but comforting mid-week meal, this is it. Thanks to Australian Beef for this recipe!
- 750g beef mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, finely diced
- 1 small eggplant, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 50g baby spinach, plus extra leaves, to serve
- 1 small cauliflower head, cut into small florets
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C (or 180° fan-forced).
- Heat half the oil over medium-high heat, in a large non-stick fry pan. Cook mince in batches until browned. Set mince aside.
- Heat remaining oil (in same pan) over medium-high heat and cook onion, garlic, carrot and eggplant for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Return beef to pan and add thyme, tomato paste, tomatoes, Worcestershire and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir through spinach. Season to taste and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in separate microwave-safe containers, microwave cauliflower (4 to 5 minutes) and peas (2 to 3 minutes) on high until tender. Drain. Roughly mash with milk, mustard and cheddar. Season.
- Lightly oil a 2L baking dish. Add beef mixture and top with spoonfuls of cauliflower mash. Sprinkle with parmesan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Serve with extra baby spinach leaves, and enjoy!