Preparation: 30 minutes | Cooking: 10 minutes | Serves: 2
This is one of our favourite sausage recipes – it’s a fancy twist on a typical ‘sausage sanga’. These gourmet sausage sandwiches are sure to be loved by adults and kids alike (you may need to keep a bottle of tomato sauce handy…).
- 3 thick beef sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 200 g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pieces of Turkish bread, halved horizontally and toasted
- rocket leaves
- Onion jam
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the barbecue/grill/pan and either cook the sausages over moderate heat until cooked through and browned.
- While the sausages are cooking, heat the oil in a fry-pan and add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook over moderately-high heat until mushrooms are golden.
- To make onion jam: Heat a small fry-pan and add the oil. Stir in onion and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sweet chilli sauce, white wine vinegar and water. Cook over low heat for a further 15 minutes, stirring often.
- To serve: Slice the sausages half length-ways. Place the bottom slices of toasted Turkish bread onto 2 plates. Top with some rocket leaves, three halves of sausage, and the mushrooms. Finish with a spoonful of onion jam and the top slice of toasted bread.
Sausage sandwiches don’t get any better than this!