Preparation: 5 minutes | Cooking: 15 minutes | Serves: 4
Steak wraps are healthy, easy to make and perfect for pleasing kids and adults alike. These wraps are highly versatile – feel free to change up the wrap type (think lavash bread, pita pockets, Lebanese bread, fresh tortillas), the sauce and the salad ingredients.
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Flour tortillas, shredded lettuce, finely sliced tomato to serve
- Brush each sirloin steak lightly with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat the char-grill pan to hot before adding the meat (see the ‘tips’ below for alternative cooking methods).
- Cook on one side until the first sign of moisture appears. Turn once. Test the steaks for degree of doneness with tongs (rare is soft, medium feels springy and well done is very firm).
- Remove steaks from heat, loosely cover with foil and rest steaks for 2 minutes before slicing.
- Mash the avocado with mayonnaise. After the steaks have rested for 5 minutes, slice them diagonally into thin, even slices.
- Serve the sliced steak with warmed wraps, shredded lettuce, finely sliced tomato and a healthy dollop of mashed avocado.
- These steaks taste equally great barbequed, pan-fried or grilled.
- Use tongs rather than a fork or knife to test if your steak is ready, as piercing the meat causes the juices to escape.
- The best beef cuts for char-grilling are fillet/tenderloin, rib eye/scotch fillet, sirloin/porterhouse/New York, T-bone, rump, round and blade and oyster blade.