Preparation: 5 minutes | Cooking: 15 minutes | Serves: 4
This recipe is healthy and delicious. The mix of shiitake and oyster mushrooms taste fantastic with the tender beef, sweet soy sauce, fresh asparagus and crisp almonds.
- 500 g beef rump
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 250 g snow peas
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 3cm lengths
- 100 g oyster mushrooms
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp blanched almonds (whole or flaked), roasted
- Cut the beef across the grain into thin strips. Rub the brown sugar into the beef strips, then add a little of the oil to the beef. Mix well.
- Heat the wok, ensure it is hot. Stir-fry the beef strips in 3 batches, reserving each cooked batch to rest in a warm bowl. Reheat wok between each batch.
- Reheat the wok, add remaining oil and heat. Add the snow peas and asparagus, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the combined oyster and soy sauces, stir-fry to mix.
- Return the beef to the wok, toss to combine. Transfer to serving plate, sprinkle with almonds.
- Serving suggestion: Serve with rice.
- Cook meat in small batches, at a maximum of 250g at a time.
- When you add the meat to the wok, work from the outer side of the wok into the centre where it will be hottest.
- Best beef cuts for stir-frying: Beef stir fry strips, rib eye, scotch fillet, tenderloin, sirloin, porterhouse, New York, rump, boneless blade, round, oyster blade or topside steaks.