Preparation: 10 minutes | Cooking: 8 minutes | Serves: 4
This salad is healthy, refreshing, tasty, easy-to-make and perfect for a summer’s night meal. For the best results, we recommend that you take the steaks out of the fridge 10 minutes before cooking (so that they cook evenly) and rest the steaks before slicing them.
- 2 (about 250g each) thick-cut beef rump steaks
- 2 sliced mangoes
- 1 bunch rocket (stalks trimmed)
- 1 butter lettuce (leaves separated)
- ½ cup mint leaves
- rind and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- Brush the steaks lightly with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat the BBQ flat-plate, or char-grill plate, or pan to hot before adding the steaks.
- Cook on one side until the first sign of moisture appears. Turn steaks once only. Test the steaks for degree of doneness with tongs. Rare will feel soft, medium will feel springy and well-done will feel very firm.
- Remove steaks from heat, loosely cover with foil and rest steaks for 5 minutes before serving. While the steaks rest, toss the remaining ingredients together. Slice the steaks thinly and mix with the salad ingredients.
- The best cuts for this salad include thickly cut rump, rib eye/scotch fillet or sirloin/porterhouse/New York steaks.
- Preheat the char-grill pan to hot before adding the meat. Instead of oiling the pan it is better to oil the meat. Either brush it lightly or rub a little oil into the meat.
- The best beef cuts for char-grilling include fillet/tenderloin, rib eye/scotch fillet, sirloin/porterhouse/New York, T-bone, rump, round and blade and oyster blade.