Preparation & Cooking: 45 minutes | Serves: 6
Have you ever had gozleme at your local market? It’s a traditional Turkish flatbread or pastry dish that equates to the ultimate comfort food. This beef and spinach gozleme recipe uses store-bought filo pastry to make the recipe as quick and easy as possible.
If you are serving the gozleme for dinner, add a side-salad and it will be a delicious meal.
This recipe is brought to you by the 10th season of Good Chef Bad Chef, which we are proud to sponsor.
If you would like to see the recipe being made, check out this video.
- Approx 12 sheets room temperature filo pastry
- 250g butter, melted
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 250g beef mince
- 500g spinach, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 100g feta
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a round pizza tray with baking paper.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over low-medium heat and drizzle in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, cumin seeds, paprika and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for two minutes until onion has softened.
- Add the beef mince to the pan and break it up with the back of a spoon. Stir and cook for approx. 5 minutes until browned all over.
- Stir the spinach, parsley and pine nuts through the beef mixture. Remove from heat, crumble in the feta and combine.
- Brush one sheet of filo with melted butter and drape it over the round pizza tray. Brush another sheet of filo with butter and drape it over the top, buttered-side up, in the other direction so you have a criss-cross pattern. Repeat the pattern with two more sheets of buttered filo, then scrunch up two more buttered sheets into a loose ball and place in the middle of the filo
- Spoon beef mixture on top of the scrunched up filo, then put four more buttered and scrunched pieces of filo on top. Brush another sheet of filo with butter and drape over the top, then fold all the sides in so everything is wrapped up in filo. Top with one more buttered sheet of filo to create a flat, even surface, ensuring all the sides are tucked in.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top and bake in oven for approx. 15 minutes or until golden and crispy.